Being a Mother is so much better than I thought it would be and I thought it would be awesome. If people saw me interacting with my son during the day they would think I was crazy. Does anyone remember the Dad in So I married an Axe Murderer? Well, I like to dance like him in the kitchen. l also like to talk like Ace Ventura and quote movie lines to my infant child. My husband and I do the same thing with each other. Our favorite is imitating Fire Marshal Bill from In Living Color, "LET ME SHOW YA SOMETHING". There was a day last week when every time my son would cough he would toot at the same time. I don't care who you are...that's funny. I made up a song called Coughs and Toots. Most of the songs I make up involve toots. He likes broccoli. My son is the sweetest gift I have ever been given.
The love and joy that I have in my son is doing sweet things in my heart. My heart has had a difficult time seeing God as a loving Father. I can imagine Jesus thinking, "what more can I do for her to see that I love her?". When I was serving in the college ministry at Denton Bible Church, my heart wasn't in a great place. For the record, the problem wasn't the ministry, it was my heart. I was exhausted and peace was scarce. My friend Melissa saw my struggle and was such an encouragement. She had just read a book called Desiring God by John Piper. Jesus used this book to begin changing my heart. Piper points to, and writes about Scripture in a way that helped me wrap my head around God's love in a deeper way.
Someone who I believe to be a king of encouragement is my High School Youth Director, Keith Chancey. I would visit him and his wife, Karen, on occasion after I graduated. When God started to show me how distant my relationship was with Him, I started pulling away from ministry. I thought that I needed to quit everything to refocus my focus. During this period, Keith discouraged me from quitting everything, but instead, to serve as a leader in the High School ministry. After praying about it and realizing that a boy I liked was serving there, I decided he was right. Turns out, he was very, very right. The relationships that I built while serving in the High School ministry are still special to me. I became best friends with Whitney Blake on the car ride up to the leadership retreat. We laughed the whole way and I literally said to her, "Let's be best friends!" and she said "OK!". That girl has stuck with me through some tough times over the last 11 years; I'm so thankful for her. My heart was starting to struggle with the right things and I was surrounded by people who, I felt, loved and understood me.
2 comments:
You felt the love because it was definitely there. :-) Love you lots sweetie!
Ashley, you are the best writer ever! You are amazing :) can't wait 'til the book comes out ;) xoxo
Post a Comment